BEA Weblogic – Tomcat Migration

At assona GmbH (former Jamba Service GmbH),  I ported a large web application with four sub-applications from BEA Weblogic to Apache Tomcat in the period from April 2008 to March 2009.

The persistence layer which has  previously been designed with EJB 2 was replaced by a Spring-managed O/R-Mapping (with iBatis). I changed and developed persistence routines, always in terms of maintainability and performance.
Furthermore, I restructured the entire application under SOA aspects which implied planning and implementing many services.
I both re-implemented an existing web service (SOAP) and added several services using Apache CXF (former XFire).

With Tiles, Struts 1, Struts 2 and the Dojo Tollkit I used some of the latest web standards.
One of the greatest difficulties was to keep the latest version of the parallel advanced application consistent with “my” version, since in this period a change of the company’s name took place. This had an impact on large parts of the application.

Furthermore, the current build tool Apache Ant was replaced Apache Maven 2. First of all it was necessary to plan the project structure in order to be able to develop Maven plugins (MOJOs) as well as a build script.

At the end of March 2008 the project was successfully completed and is in productive use now.